The beef market is poised for profitability at the moment. However, input costs remain sky-high.
Oklahoma State University’s Paul Beck shares 10 tips you can use to enhance the profitability of your cowherd.
- Know your cost of production. Data shows high earners have a 43% lower cost of production than low earners.
- Have a defined calving season that matches your environment.
- Select replacement heifers for fertility and longevity.
- Pregnancy test and cull to decrease winter feeding costs.
- Improve forage management to reduce reliance on feed and hay.
- Test your hay and choose economic supplement choices.
- Crossbreed with a superior sire.
- Have a herd health program and a close veterinary relationship.
- Precondition and retain ownership past weaning to add value.
- Keep expenses low and always reduce debt.
Trade Panel Rejects U.S. Complaint on Canada USMCA Dairy ImplementationNovember 29, 2023
Fifth Circuit Court Sides with Oil Refiners in Waiver RequestsNovember 29, 2023
Cropland Values Continue to Climb Despite Lower Farm IncomeNovember 27, 2023
Final USDA Crop Progress Report Pegs Corn at 96% HarvestedNovember 28, 2023
Warmer Temperatures, Precipitation to Kick Off DecemberNovember 29, 2023