Opportunities to add diversified revenue streams to every agricultural operation abound in 2023. Perhaps most discussed is the chance to garner income from carbon sequestration. This is not only applicable to growers, but ranchers could also cash in on the opportunity.
Is a carbon contract right for your ranch? Consider these ten factors before taking the leap:
1. The market is complex and continues to evolve.
2. Working with an attorney early in the process is a wise decision.
3. Understand the concept of “additionality” (being paid only for new practices).
4. Verification and credibility are critical, as is a trusting relationship.
5. Not all carbon contracts are created equal.
6. Ethical considerations.
7. Time management.
8. Market demand.
9. Realistic compensation expectation.
10. Exercising caution and asking questions before making decisions.
Vilsack Advocates for Struggling Farmers in 2023 Farm Bill, Lawmakers Focus on Safety NetMarch 20, 2023
Wisconsin Battles Milk Hauling RegulationMarch 20, 2023
Beef Markets Strong in First QuarterMarch 20, 2023
Black Sea Grain Agreement Reached, Details UnclearMarch 21, 2023
Rain Falls too Late to Salvage Argentinian Soybean CropMarch 21, 2023