Planting season is off to a slow start with only 4% of corn and soybean acres nationwide planted as of April 17. Winterlike weather is still plaguing most of the Midwest and Northern Plains as USDA reported in its weekly crop progress report. Severe dry weather also impacts much of the western regions, impacting wheat-growing in the latest crop conditions report. This week’s 4% progress is up just 2% from last week and a total of 3 points behind last year and 2 points behind the five-year average of 6%.

Texas remains top of the progress list as corn planting comes in at 64% complete. Nebraska and Pennsylvania reported just 2% of corn planted while most of the corn belt reported 0%. Soybean planting progress was 1% nationwide as of Sunday, 2 points behind last year and just 1 point behind the five-year average.

Read more on crop progress and conditions here.