Illinois Department of Insurance Notification-Cook, Kane, Lake and McHentry Counties07/25/2017
On July 17, 2017, the Illinois Department of Insurance issued several directives to all insurers writing business in Cook, Kane, Lake and McHenry counties due to the Illinois Governor’s flood disaster declaration in those counties. A complete copy of Bulletin 2017-03 is located at: http://insurance.illinois.gov/cb/2017/CB2017-03.pdf
Producers Agriculture Insurance Company (“ProAg”) is taking the following actions in compliance with the bulletin with respect to all its state-regulated insurance policies (“private policies”)* issued to policyholders residing in Cook, Kane, Lake and McHenry counties in Illinois or property insured in those counties:
- Placing a moratorium on any cancellation or nonrenewal notices on its private policies* between July 12, 2017 and September 30, 2017;
- Extending by 60 days any time limit under the policy for specific actions including the submission of a claim or proof of loss, reporting of information, submission of bills, or payment of funds*;
- Extending by 60 days any time period allowed to make any repairs on affected property that may be required under the policy;
- Refraining from cancelling or non-renewing any policies as otherwise permitted by law due to “increase in the risk originally accepted” or due to the geographic location of the risk;
- Taking under consideration exceptions to policy or contract requirements, or to other rating or underwriting rules, when such contractual requirements or rating or underwriting rules are not met as a result of this disaster;
- Posting on its website and via social media the facts regarding the issuance of and actions taken in compliance with Bulletin 2017-03.
Finally, Illinois consumers are hereby advised of the availability of the Department for filing a complaint regarding any disaster-related dispute or issue. Consumers may call the Department’s toll-free complaint hotline at 1-866-445-5364, or file a complaint online at: https://mc.insurance.illinois.gov/messagecenter.nsf
Should any ProAg policyholder have any questions regarding the impact of Bulletin 2017-03 on their policy, please do not hesitate to contact your ProAg agent or you may contact ProAg at (800) 852-4497.
*None of the above changes in dates or procedures apply to any policies issued under the Federal Crop Insurance Act and regulated by USDA’s Risk Management Agency – commonly known as multiple peril crop insurance policies (MPCI).